Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sketchbook

I haven't posted here for a while, but have still been active sketching. I try and draw something every day, to keep my eye in and because I find it helpful for my precarious sanity. These days, I don't have a lot of spare time, so I've taken to drawing my children during one of the few points in the day when they're bound to sit still: the 15 minute period of 'watching' before bath time, as part of their bedtime ritual.



The results are variable and a bit rushed (it's not easy drawing a portrait when you have only the length of an episode of the Octonauts) and I haven't posted them before because I'm wary of putting images of my children up on the internet. My solution is to post them here as a series of Vine videos of the sketchbook.



The sketchbook is a small square journal, made by hand.book which I used because the paper is more absorbent than ordinary moleskine sketchbooks, which I usually use and to which I've since returned.



In some of the sketches I've added washes using a water brush, pre-filled with made-up watercolour - I stole this idea from Dan Berry's excellent blog.



The sketches here cover a period from the 28 July to 10 October 2013. If you look closely, you may be able to spot a rapidly snatched portrait of Chris Ware whilst waiting (2 hours!) for him to sign a copy of Building Stories at the Edinburgh Book Festival.